Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rediscover the Library!

The first thing we did after we got unpacked, was to locate the local library and get library cards.

It is right down on Main Street (which is very picturesque) in between the Veteran's Memorial with its really cool Vietnam War Era helicopter out front and the Utah Natural History Field house with its life-size dinosaur replicas out front.

We were all pleasantly surprised to find the library full of books (what else?), but a pretty good size little library with the upstairs completed devoted to Children & Youth's books. (I think Jaden's favorite part is the elevator) Since then, we have all been devouring books and thought that we would share our favorites of the Summer so far.....


Mom/Mindy:



Borrowed from Daddy, I last read these books back when I was a kid, Grandpa Knight introduced me to them. Set in the 4-Corners area of Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado on the Reservation, the books are suspenseful, action-packed, mystery, what can I say? It's Tony Hillerman, his books rock!







My first book out of the library just for me. Kept my attention straight through. A good mystery/kinda-romance (not really, more mystery).
I thoroughly enjoyed it!







A fun, good, quick read. Is LDS Fiction/Action/Mystery/Romance


I can't wait for this author to come out with another book.



Cameron:


Good ol' Uncle Dr. Beege, sent Cam off from St. Louis with a stack of books to read. Cam really got into this series and borrowed the 2nd from Grandpa Mark upon arrival in Utah.







Warrior Cat Series has been a favorite of Cameron's for awhile. The Uintah County Library has a huge selection of these books plus a new series by the same author Cameron hasn't seen before. Needless to say, he is excited and has read at least 5 already.






A new book purchased for our trip, that got packed in a box without a label, Cameron found and read this book upon arrival and is enjoying this new series. He has found others of this series at the library and has read 2 of them since.



Dad/Jason:


I checked this book out for myself out of curiosity; I had seen it so many times in the Deseret Book catalogs, that I had to pick it up. Not sure why I did, because Jason stole it from me and then Cameron stole it from him. They both read and enjoyed it. Actually, Cameron said, "It's okay" I guess there is some romance in there??





Time for Daddy to get back to work! He spent his last few days re-reading his school books, freshening up for the new school year reading books like this.




Jaina:



Jaina just loves books from this era in history, especially about girls who are the heroines. Her friend Jamie Larsen also highly recommended this series to her.




Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo!



Quite possibly one of Jaina's most favorite series, she stifled a squeal when she saw how many of these books the library has--she checks out 4 every time we go Which is about every 3-4 days.



Jaden:



Although he has spent a lot of time on his newly replaced DS (thanks Nintendo for good warranty service), Jaden has rediscovered this series and read more of them. If you haven't discovered Ready Freddy, yet, it is like Junie B. Jones, but for boys.





Another exciting series for Bubba is the Chapter Book collection of Magic School Bus. A great choice for the scientists with inquisitive minds at our house.


2 comments:

  1. So, does Cameron enjoy Scott Card's scifi? I wonder if Ethan would ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of it before my brother-in-law gave it to him, but Cam did love it

    ReplyDelete